Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

U23 | TOWN 3 QPR 0

15 January 2018

Town comfortably see off QPR at Playford Road

Aaron Drinan scored his first goal in a Town shirt and Ben Morris grabbed a double as the Blues' U23s defeated QPR 3-0 at Playford Road this afternoon.

Luke Hyam, Kevin Bru, Freddie Sears and Tristan Nydam all started with Hyam completing the full 90 minutes.

The first-half didn't produce a great deal of goalscoring opportunities but Town did have a handful of chances in just a matter of seconds in the early period of the game.

Sears first went close after racing clear of the defence, but his shot was well saved by the R's 'keeper. His save only went as far as Drinan who had two bites at the cherry, with his first effort blocked and the second blazed over the bar.

It didn't take Gerard Nash's side long after the restart to open the scoring with Morris' cross from the right was cleared straight into the path of Drinan who made no mistake, thumping the ball into the net.

Just over five minutes later it was 2-0. Bru tried his luck from outside the box, but his shot fell to Morris whose shot looped over Marcin Brzozowski and into the net.

Morris had the ball in the net again on the hour, only for it to be ruled out for offside, but he was not to be denied his second goal.

With 15 minutes left on the clock, Morris was given the ball by Sears 30 yards from goal and he picked out the top corner superbly, leaving the 'keeper with absolutely no chance.

Town then started to create a number of good chances and were opening up QPR with almost every attack.

Morris came close to a hat-trick, but he sliced a Drinan cut-back just wide before Conor McKendry headed narrowly over the bar soon after.

3-0 was how it finished, though, as the U23s unbeaten run stretches to eight matches.

Town: Crowe, McLoughlin, Fowler, Smith, McDonnell, Hyam, Bru (Folami, 76), Nydam (Sagaf, 62), Morris, Drinan, Sears (McKendry, 79). Not used: Wright, Webber.

Advertisement block