Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


16 November 2019

Young Blues to face Cardiff away in third round.

Town progressed to the third round of the FA Youth Cup with a 2-1 win over Exeter City at Portman Road this afternoon.

Connor O'Reilly and Colin Oppong scored for the Young Blues in the first half, before the Grecians pulled one back in the second half to make it a slightly nervy finish for the hosts.

Adem Atay's side took the lead in just the sixth minute. Exeter failed to clear their lines from a deep cross and O'Reilly made no mistake as he smashed into the roof of the net from close range.

Tyreece Simpson had a chance for the hosts on the half-hour mark when he connected with a long through ball, but he flashed a right-footed half-volley wide of the target.

But nine minutes later the hosts did double their lead. Oppong brought the ball down with his back to goal before rolling his marker and firing beyond Exeter 'keeper Jack Arthur.

It remained that way until half-time, with the away side having the first genuine chance of the second half. Ben Chrisene broke through the Town defence and should have scored as he faced Jake Alley one on one, but scuffed his strike and the Blues 'keeper saved with his feet.

Simpson had another chance in the 60th minute but Arthur did well to deny the striker by rushing out and blocking his shot with his legs.

Eight minutes later Exeter pulled one back as captain Louis Morison headed in from a corner.

Alley then produced a brilliant save to deny Ellis Johnson who would have found the back of the net with a strong left-footed effort but for the 'keepers heroics.

The visitors looked to level late on but Blues stood resolute and saw the game out well.

Town will travel to Cardiff City in the third round.

Town: Alley, O'Reilly, Fehrenbach, Henderson (C), Smith, Z Brown, Alexander, Healy (Cutbush 66'), Gibbs, Oppong (Viral 59'), Simpson (Ruffles 83'). Subs unused: Wyss, Bort, Baker, Reed.

Advertisement block