Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


23 November 2019

Garbutt penalty gives Town a point after Edwards' opener for Blues

Town had to settle for a point against Blackpool in a game of two penalties.

Gwion Edwards’ second goal of the season gave Blues a perfect start but the Seasiders were level midway through the half when Joe Nuttall finished from close range.

The visitors took the lead from the spot seven minutes into the second-half when Jay Spearing converted but Blues responded immediately, Luke Garbutt finding the corner with a perfect penalty.

Alan Judge almost won it for Town in added on time but his flick was inched to safety by Jak Alnwick.

Will Norris and Luke Woolfenden returned to the team in two of several changes from the side that beat Lincoln in the FA Cup during the week, Kayden Jackson leading the attack.

Danny Rowe sent a right footer wide after driving into Blackpool territory in the first two minutes, while at the other end Norris moved quickly to beat out Sullay Kaikai’s free-kick.

Jackson almost found Jon Nolan with a ball across goal but it didn’t take long for Blues to open the scoring, Edwards on hand to slide the ball into the roof of the net from close range on eight minutes after Blackpool failed to deal with a cross at the back post.


Edwards was crowded out inside the box as he looked for a second, Luke Chambers fed a header back into the box that was cleared but on 22 minutes Blackpool levelled. Kaikai led the counter and from Jimmy Husband’s cross Nuttall forced the ball in at the second attempt.

Edwards had another effort blocked; Nolan’s cross was cleared by the covering Spearing, while at other end Norris held firm to deflect over Kaikai’s vicious strike from the edge of the box.

Garbutt fizzed in a cross that was headed away from danger by Spearing as Town pressed for a second before the break, Alnwick in the Blackpool goal claiming Rowe’s cross, then Norris was called into action to deny Nuttall getting on the end of a long ball.

Edwards was again in the action as the second-half got underway, his header cannoning back off a defender from an excellent Janoi Donacien cross then from a well-worked free-kick Flynn Downes escaped at the back post but couldn’t control his header as Blues started in positive fashion.

It was the Seasiders who went ahead though on 52 minutes, Chambers judged to have clipped Kaikai and Spearing finished expertly from the spot.

Town were level six minutes later, Edwards had a shot headed behind for a corner and from the flag-kick referee Stephen Martin pointed to the spot again, this time for handball and Garbutt did the rest.

Rowe almost found Jackson before a flurry of changes, with Anthony Georgiou replacing Rowe for Town and Callum Guy and Ollie Turton on for Matty Virtue and Calum MacDonald for the visitors.

Alnwick pushed the ball away to eventual safety after a scramble in the Blackpool box, then Georgiou’s flick was cleared off the line with Town appealing for a goal.

Great play by Woolfenden down the right forced Alnwick to smother his cross, Norris into action at the other end to keep out Ryan Edwards’ header, the Town ‘keeper showing good hands again to deny Husband.

Jordan Thompson entered the fray for the last 10 minutes, joined by Judge and Keane as the points hung in the balance and Judge almost provided late drama for the second time in four days but unlike at Lincoln in the FA Cup, his goalbound effort was touched around the post by Alnwick.  

Town: Norris, Donacien, Chambers, Woolfenden, Garbutt, Edwards (Judge 81), Skuse, Downes (Keane 81), Rowe (Georgiou 65), Nolan, Jackson. Subs not used: Holy, Dozzell, Huws, Wilson.

Blackpool: Alnwick, Edwards, Heneghan, Delfouneso, Spearing, Kaikai (Thompson 80), Feeney, Virtue (Guy 65), Nuttall, Husband, MacDonald (Turton 65). Subs not used: Sims, Hardie, Scannell, Tilt. Booked: Edwards, Spearing.

Att: 19,503

Advertisement block