Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


8 October 2019

Blues progress to next round as Huws and Keane net

Town struck twice in the first 20 minutes to set up a comfortable win over Gillingham in the Trophy.

Emyr Huws got Blues up and running with a swing of his left foot from the edge of the box and Jordan Roberts followed up his brace against Tottenham in the first group game with a close range finish before the midway point of the first-half.

Town made sure of victory just past the hour with Mikael Mandron appearing to divert the ball into his own net under pressure from Danny Rowe and three minutes from time Will Keane completed the scoring as Blues booked a place in the next round of the competition.

A much-changed Town side got off to the perfect start with Huws finding the bottom corner on nine minutes, his first goal for the Club since April 2017.

Blues took a stranglehold on the game with a second goal. Idris El Mizouni forced Joe Walsh into a save and Roberts was first to the rebound.

Will Norris coped with a free-kick into the box as Gillingham looked for a response while at the other end Roberts had a shot blocked as Town threatened a third.

Will Keane was crowded out inside the box, El Mizouni and Roberts linking up well before Jack Tucker got in the way of Roberts’ 20 yarder, then Norris dominated his area to pluck another free-kick out of the air.

Walsh punched clear from Myles Kenlock’s cross as Town pressed for a third goal, Roberts denied again as Gillingham smothered his shot to bring the first-half to an end.

Town made two changes at the break with Roberts, who received lengthy treatment before half-time, and Janoi Donacien replaced by Armando Dobra and Gwion Edwards.

Blues were on the front foot as soon as the second-half kicked off, Walsh saving from Rowe, then El Mizouni seeing a shot deflected just over.

Woods was just wide with a left foot effort from the edge of the box but Town continued to look the more likely to add to the scoreline, with Dobra denied at the far post before Blues did make it three just past the hour. Rowe getting the congratulations but the ball appeared to cannon off Mandron into the net.

Tommy Hughes came on for his debut, James Wilson making way in Town’s final change and three minutes from time Keane added a fourth for Blues with a neat finish from Dobra’s pass.

Town: Norris, Wilson (Hughes 81), Nsiala, Woolfenden, Donacien (Edwards 46), Kenlock, Rowe, El Mizouni, Huws, Keane, Roberts (Dobra 46). Subs not used: Wright, Simpson, Clements, McGavin. Booked: Huws.

Gillingham: Walsh, Hodson, Garmston, Ogilvie, Mandron (Lee 68), Charles-Cook (Jakubiak 68), Cisse, Pringle, Marshall, Woods, Tucker. Subs not used: Bonham, O’Keefe, Ehmer, Ndjoli, O’Connor.  Booked: Mandron, Woods.

Att: 5271




Advertisement block