Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


14 September 2019

Points shared at Portman Road as Norwood denied

James Norwood was denied a dramatic winner in added on time as Town had to settle for a share of the spoils.

The striker got on the end of Alan Judge's pass but ‘keeper Ian Lawlor produced an excellent save to earn his side a point.

It was a point Doncaster deserved. Darren Moore’s side threatened on the counter on a number of occasions, hit the post through Ben Sheaf and Tomas Holy was the busier of the two ‘keepers until Lawlor’s intervention late on.

Paul Lambert made one change from the Town team that beat Shrewsbury in the last league game, Gwion Edwards coming in for the absent Danny Rowe, with Will Keane included in the 18 for the first time since joining the Club in a permanent deal in August.

Edwards won an early corner after a run down the right, Kayden Jackson and Judge swapping passes to find space but Cameron John was alert to clear.

Doncaster provided an early threat at the other end, the evergreen James Coppinger forcing the ball back into the danger area and Luke Chambers made the block, then cleared.

Holy was off his line to deny Niall Ennis, Jackson tried to set up Judge on the edge of the box, then Reece James held firm as Edwards tried to get in around the back.

Lawlor grabbed the ball after Judge threatened down the left, Holy having the first save of the game to deny Ennis as the visitors continued to look lively on the break, then at the other end Judge almost found Norwood with a searching pass.

Downes sent a spectacular volley well over from Judge’s driven free-kick but it was Doncaster who came closest to breaking the deadlock before half-time, Holy making a big save to prevent Jon Taylor rounding off a rapid counter attack.

Jackson was inches away from giving Town the perfect start to the second-half, ‘keeper Lawlor flicking Edwards’ cross away with his fingertips as the striker looked to head home, Ennis losing out to Holy again as Taylor released him in the box in Doncaster’s response, then Jackson fired high and wide from distance.

Woolfenden stayed strong to block Ennis after Coppinger had instigated a break, Matthew Blair headed just wide before Town made a double change with Anthony Georgiou and Jon Nolan on for Edwards and Downes just past the hour.

Norwood broke clear for Blues after an excellent tackle from Cole Skuse but Lawlor did enough to prevent the opener, the visitors maintained their threat though and Ennis was crowded out eight yards out, then Coppinger’s radar was off when in a great position.

Alfie May and Kieran Sadlier entered the fray for Blair and Coppinger, May immediately in the action and it took a great block by Chambers to stop the substitute getting in.

Kane Vincent-Young had the crowd on their feet with a storming run and then a shot just over, Town making a final change for the closing stages with Jackson making way for Keane.

Blues had another close shave when Sheaf sent a 25 yarder against the post, Chambers to the rescue again with a brilliant tackle to rob Alex Kiwomya, then in added on time Norwood was denied a dramatic winner by Lawlor after getting on the end of Judge’s superb pass.  

Town: Holy, Vincent-Young, Chambers, Woolfenden, Kenlock, Edwards (Georgiou 62), Skuse, Downes (Nolan 62), Judge, Norwood, Jackson (Keane 77). Subs not used: Norris, Wilson, Dozzell, Dobra. Booked: Downes.

Doncaster: Lawlor, Halliday, James, Anderson, Sheaf, Whiteman, Taylor, Blair (May 71), Coppinger (Sadlier 71), Ennis (Kiwomya 84), John. Subs not used: Diang, Gomes, Longbottom, Daniels. Booked: James, Sheaf, Whiteman, Coppinger, Halliday.

Att: 18,928


Advertisement block