Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


17 September 2019

Nolan's early goal proves decisive

Jon Nolan’s first goal of the season was enough to give Town the three points at Stadium MK.

The midfielder, back after a calf injury saw him miss the first month of the season, got on the end of Emyr Huws’ cross to guide the ball into the net to reward Blues for an impressive start.

Dons’ keeper Lee Nicholls denied Kayden Jackson a second goal for Town but the home side forced Blues back in the second-half and it needed two excellent saves from Tomas Holy to maintain the advantage.

Paul Lambert made four changes from the side that drew with Doncaster at the weekend, Huws coming in for his first League start for Blues since December 2017; Luke Garbutt back from injury while Nolan and James Wilson were also included. Cole Skuse made his 250 appearance for the Club.

Garbutt and Nolan immediately linked up down the left, ‘keeper Nicholls beating James Norwood to the cross, Flynn Downes firing over, then Norwood had a volley blocked inside the box after good set-up play by Jackson in a bright start for Blues.

Town bossed the opening exchanges and on 12 minutes were ahead, Huws whipped in a delivery and Nolan sidefooted the ball past Nicholls as cool as you like.

Town continued to dominate, Russell Martin clearing as Jackson looked to get in and the striker was in moments later after Skuse and Norwood combined to set him up, Nicholls equal to the task with a save with his feet.

Kane Vincent-Young did well to guide the ball back to Tomas Holy after Brennan Dickenson looked to capitalise on a Dons break before Blues were forced into a change with the injured Norwood making way for Will Keane just past the half hour.

Vincent-Young couldn’t convert from  Jackson’s cross after Downes’ excellent challenge had sparked a Town counter, while at the other end George Williams got on the end of a far post cross in MK’s only real opening of the first-half but Town smothered the danger away.

Dons made a double change at the break with Joe Walsh and Dickenson replaced by Callum Brittain and Jordan Bowery.

Blues started positively again, Keane testing Nicholls with a 25 yarder, MK responding with Bowery inches away from taking Brittain’s excellent pass in his stride inside the Town box.

Nicholls had to get down to keep out Downes’ drive from the angle but Dons began to get a foothold in the game and it needed good reflexes from Holy to stop Bowery poking the ball in from close range after Conor McGrandles’ initial strike.

Holy held firm as Bowery challenged for a cross as MK enjoyed a spell of intent around the Town box, Blues introducing Anthony Georgiou for Huws midway through the half.

Jackson made way for Gwion Edwards in Town’s final change as the closing stages approached and the substitute had a chance to extend the lead after a break but his shot was deflected to safety.

Holy came to Town’s rescue again with a save from Jordan Houghton after McGrandles had fed the ball back into the danger area and it was enough to take Blues to the three points.  

MK Dons: Nicholls, Williams, Walsh (Brittain 46), Poole, Dickenson (Bowery 46), Martin, McGrandles, Houghton, Boateng (Agard 83), Nombe, Kasumu. Subs not used: Moore, Lewington, Gilbey, Harley. Booked: Poole.

Town: Holy, Vincent-Young, Chambers, Wilson, Garbutt, Skuse, Nolan, Downes, Huws (Georgiou 67), Jackson (Edwards 74), Norwood (Keane 34). Subs not used: Norris, Judge, Dozzell, Woolfenden. Booked: Huws, Downes.

Att: 10, 167

Advertisement block