Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


22 August 2020

Blues defeated by strong Spurs outfit

Town continued their pre-season preparations with a defeat at Premier League Tottenham.

Three goals inside the opening half an hour proved to be the difference as Son Heung-Min completed a brace following an early Ryan Sessegnon goal.

Blues had their fair share of possession - particularly in the second half - but couldn’t reduce the deficit in what was a second 45 minutes of few chances.

The hosts took the lead with the first real opening of the game, Sessegnon slotting the ball past David Cornell from the edge of the box after being played in by Dele with just over five minutes played.

Blues had their first chance of the afternoon one minute later, Aaron Drinan heading over the top from an in-swinging Armando Dobra cross.

Spurs were two goals to the good within 10 minutes, winning the ball high up the park before Dele laid the ball back for Son to stroke home.

Town continued to see plenty of the ball but struggled to break down their Premier League hosts, Teddy Bishop and Dobra having runs into the box stunted by the Spurs backline.

Bishop and group v Spurs.JPG

Toto Nsiala was in the right place to prevent Spurs from adding to their lead midway through the half, stabbing away Lucas Moura’s low cross before Dele could finish from inside the box.

Jose Mourinho’s side made it 3-0 shortly afterwards however as Son chipped Cornell after being played in behind.

Son could’ve had a hat-trick just before the break after Gedson Fernandes' cross deflected into his path but the Spurs striker poked his effort over the bar under pressure from Luke Woolfenden and Cornell.

As planned, Town changed their full starting 11 for the second half while Spurs opted for four changes at the break.

Blues started the second period on the front foot as Flynn Downes played in Kayden Jackson but the striker’s pull-back couldn’t find a supporting player.

A well-timed tackle from Brett McGavin led to Downes and Jackson combining for another opening five minutes later however the latter saw his shot blocked.

Some quick passing around the edge of the box led to Town’s next chance but Freddie Sears couldn’t keep his effort down.

Spurs created their best opening of a far more even second period with just over 10 minutes remaining, Jack Clarke’s cross being just out of the reach of Alfie Devine as the second half ended goallless.

Spurs: Lloris (Hart 45 (Gazzaniga 74)), Foyth (Carter-Vickers 45), Alderweireld, Davies (Cirkin 45), Sessegnon, Winks (Devine 71, Hojbjerg (White 64), Gedson, Dele (Bowden 74), Moura (Scarlett 71), Son (Clarke 45). 

First half Town: Cornell, Vincent-Young, Nsiala, Woolfenden, Ward, Skuse, Bishop, Judge, Dobra, Drinan, Edwards. 

Second half Town: Holy, Donacien, Ndaba, Chambers, Kenlcok, Downes, McGavin (Nolan 64), Dozzell, Lankester, Jackson, Sears.

Subs: Smith, El Mizouni, Folami.

Gwion Edwards vs Spurs.jpg

Advertisement block