Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


15 December 2020

Blues return to winning ways

Emyr Huws’ late header was enough to ensure Town secured the three points at Portman Road this evening.

Keanan Bennetts’ first Blues goal was cancelled out by Joe Powell’s first-half leveller, before Huws’ header from close range was bundled home to secure the three points for Town.

There was another injury concern for Town however as Bennetts didn’t come out for the second half after appearing to pick up a knock in the opening 45.

Town made a blistering start to the game and took the lead after four minutes. Bennetts ran onto Huws’ through ball and finished well into the bottom corner with pinpoint accuracy to give Kieran O’Hara no chance.

Keanan Bennetts cele vs Burton.jpg

Blues continued to pour forward, this time Andre Dozzell’s razor sharp feet saw him burst into the box and feed Kayden Jackson, whose powerful strike was beaten away at the near post by O’Hara.

Bennetts then picked up the ball and beat his marker with a couple of neat step-overs, before unleashing a fierce left-footed strike that was just inches away from doubling Town’s advantage.

The visitors grew into the game after Blues’ dominance in the opening 10 minutes and they were level on 21 minutes. Left-back Colin Daniel got to the byline to cross for Powell who swept home beyond David Cornell.

The lively Bennetts then latched onto a long ball from Luke Woolfenden, before twisting and turning to get a right-footed strike away which flashed just wide of the mark.

Bennetts was replaced at half-time by Armando Dobra, after the Blues loanee appeared to have picked up a knock in the latter stages of the first half.

Alan Judge vs Burton.jpg

Alan Judge had the first glimpse at goal after the restart. The Irishman drove with the ball, before catching O’Hara off guard with a long-range strike which the Brewers ‘keeper fumbled before eventually smothering.

On the hour mark, Jackson got beyond his marker down the right flank and pulled the ball back to Huws, but the Welshman’s low drive from inside the area was collected by O’Hara.

Blues were looking the more likely to get their noses in front. Good work by Dobra down the left flank allowed him to square the ball to Oli Hawkins who looked set to pull the trigger from six yards out, but for John-Joe O’Toole to get a vital toe in which fell kindly to Stephen Ward, whose volley from the edge of the area was straight at O’Hara.

Armando Dobra vs Burton.jpg

Town regained the lead with just 10 minutes remaining of normal time as Huws saw his initial volley saved by O’Hara, only for the Welshman to follow-up on the rebound and head home to put Blues back in charge.

Burton had a golden chance to snatch an equaliser through Lucas Akins late on. The ball found its way to the Brewers front man inside the six-yard box, but he fluffed his lines and steered the ball over the bar.

Aaron Drinan could've added a third late on but saw his right-footed strike well-saved before Hawkins fired over from inside the box.

Town: Cornell, Chambers, Woolfenden, McGuinness, Ward, Dozzell, Huws, Judge, Bennetts (Dobra 45), Jackson (Drinan 85), Hawkins

Subs: Holy, Lankester, Nsiala, Kenlock, McGavin

Burton: O’Hara, Brayford, Daniel, Edwards, Bostwick, Powell, Akins, Vernam (Lawless 90), O’Toole, Hughes, Ennis

Subs: Garratt, Wallace, Fox, Vassilev, Gallacher, Gilligan

Booked: McGuinness, Jackson, Daniel, Bostwick, Dobra, Edwards, Brayford

Advertisement block