Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


1 January 2020

Norwood strikes but Town held by leaders

Town had the better chances but had to settle for a point at league leaders Wycombe.

Alan Judge could have had a hat-trick if not for three outstanding saves from ‘keeper Ryan Allsop, the pick of the bunch preventing the Republic of Ireland international scoring after a terrific individual run.

Town got a deserved breakthrough early in the second-half when James Norwood headed in his ninth goal of the season.

The Chairboys equalised midway through the half in a goal out of nothing when David Wheeler guided the ball into the roof of an unguarded net to leave honours even at the start of 2020.

Janoi Donacien missed out with a knee injury while Cole Skuse remained sidelined with a neck problem. Emyr Huws and James Wilson came in as the two changes from the side that went down at Lincoln.

Wycombe had a great chance to open the scoring on five minutes, a long ball over the top was muscled towards goal by Alex Samuel and from his cross, Paul Smyth sidefooted wide.

Town responded, Gwion Edwards having a shot cleared off the line after Kayden Jackson had got around the back, then at the other end Luke Garbutt blocked Samuel’s effort before Joe Jacobson was wide with a 20 yard free-kick.

Norwood sent a left footer just over, Edwards had a little too much on a right ring cross, the wideman was enjoying some forays into Wycombe’s half down  the right though and from another cross, Jackson was crowded out at the far post.

Garbutt was off radar - for once - from a long range free-kick but it was Town who carried the greater threat, Flynn Downes prominent in a move that saw Norwood just short of getting on the end of another Edwards cross.

Smyth provided an attacking threat from deep for the hosts with his driving runs from deep, James Wilson yellow carded for a foul on the Wanderers player but Jacobson was well over with the free-kick.

It needed an excellent save from Allsop to keep out Judge’s header as half-time approached, with Giles Phillips responding for the hosts with a header over in the last action of a half that saw the best chances in the first five minutes.

Judge provided a real touch of quality as the second-half got underway, working his way into the danger area but Allsop came to Wycombe’s rescue with an excellent save.

Judge was again prominent minutes later, keeping possession under pressure before releasing Garbutt whose cross was diverted goalwards by the outstretched Norwood but just wide of the far post.

It was the Judge and Garbutt combination that provided the breakthrough on 54 minutes, a quickly taken free-kick, Garbutt’s superb delivery and Norwood did the rest with a header from close range.

Wycombe made a first change with Adebayo Akinfenwa on for Smyth and he was immediately involved as Gareth Ainsworth’s side got level out of nothing on 66 minutes, Wheeler hooking the ball into the unguarded net after a free-kick had been flicked on by the substitute.

Town stepped on the gas again, Judge denied for a third time by Allsop as Blues looked set to regain the lead, Anthony Stewart at full stretch to clear from Garbutt’s cross, then Norwood shut down as he looked to strike.

Akinfenwa headed wide at the back post before Town made a first change with Will Keane on for Norwood for the closing stages, Samuel with an acrobatic effort wide, Jackson just short of getting on the end of Judge’s inventive pass.

Teddy Bishop replaced Judge for his first game of the season after recovering from injury but both promotion chasers had to settle for a point.

Wycombe: Allsop, Jacobson, Stewart, Wheeler, Bloomfield, Phillips, Smyth (Akinfenwa 65), Charles, Freeman, Samuel (Kashket 85), Ofoborh. Subs not used: Yates, Jombati, Pattison, Aarons, Parker.

Town: Norris, Woolfenden, Chambers, Wilson, Edwards, Downes, Huws, Garbutt, Judge (Bishop 87), Norwood (Keane 79), Jackson.  Subs not used: Holy, Nsiala, Dozzell, El Mizouni, Kenlock. Booked: Wilson, Woolfenden.




Advertisement block