Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


21 March 2020

With Town’s scheduled fixture against Portsmouth not taking place, we look back at Pompey’s visit to Portman Road in 2003

Blues made it two wins in six days as a first-half treble saw Town topple already promoted Portsmouth on 18 April, 2003.

Pompey travelled to Portman Road fresh from sealing their place in the Premier League courtesy of a 1-0 win over Burnley the previous Saturday.

A repeat result never looked likely for the visitors however as goals from Martijn Reuser, Tommy Miller and Pablo Counago put the game to bed inside the opening half an hour.

Town, fresh from a 4-2 away victory at Coventry, started the brighter and were soon ahead inside the opening 11 minutes, Reuser picking the ball up just inside Portsmouth's half before driving forward and finding the bottom corner from 25 yards. 

Reuser 2 v Portsmouth 2003.JPGReuser's goal sparked Pompey into life as they searched for an equaliser, one they would have had if not for an impressive Andy Marshall save from Gianluca Festa's long range effort. 

It was, instead, Town who extended their lead just over 15 minutes after they broke the deadlock at Portman Road.

Matt Richards' low cross from the left wing was only cleared as far as Miller, who drilled low past Shaka Hislop in the Portsmouth goal to double the advantage.

Blues put the game beyond any realistic doubt less than three minutes later, Counago turning the Pompey defence inside out before firing into the roof of the net for his third goal in two games.Pablo Counago v Portsmouth 2003.JPG

Thomas Gaardsoe could have added a fourth from close range but he could only poke the ball straight at Hislop from close range.

Reuser thought he and Town should have had a penalty midway through the second half, the Dutchman's header appearing to have been blocked by the hand of Steve Stone, but referee Eddie Wolstenholme waved away the appeals.

Vincent Pericard, Gary O'Neill and Kevin Harper were all introduced by Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp but it did little to break Blues' resolve in a professional second half display.

Celebration v Portsmouth 2003.JPG

Town: Marshall, Wilnis, Holland, Gaardsoe, Makin, Richards, Reuser (Westlake 82), Magilton (Wright 69), Miller, Counago, Marcus Bent (Armstrong 82). Subs: Bowditch, Pullen.

Booked: Gaardsoe.

Portsmouth: Hislop, Primus, Foxe, De Zeeuw (O'Neil 68), Stone, Sherwood, Quashie, Festa, Merson (Harper 68), Todorov, Bradbury (Pericard 60). Subs: Kawaguchi, Diabate.

Booked: Festa, Sherwood.

Attendance: 29,396.

Advertisement block