Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


28 November 2020

Town lose out at Portman Road

Blues fell to their second home defeat in a week against a ruthless Charlton Athletic. 

A goal in either half from Albie Morgan and Omar Bogle was enough for the Addicks to secure the three points.

Paul Lambert made four changes from Tuesday night’s defeat, with Andre Dozzell returning from his three-match suspension.

17-year-old, Liam Gibbs was handed his league debut, whilst Dai Cornell was making his first league start for the Blues.

Town started brightly and had the first opening of the afternoon through Keanan Bennetts who went on a marauding run, before getting a shot away on the edge of the area, which Darren Pratley blocked.

15 minutes in, and James Norwood latched onto Dozzell’s angled through ball, the former burst between the Addicks centre-back pairing into the penalty area, but his effort was hit into the ground and Ben Amos collected.

The visitors had their first chance of the afternoon three minutes later as former Blues loanee, Jonny Williams got in behind the Town back four and looked set to pull the trigger, but for a last-ditch challenge from Toto Nsiala.

The Addicks took the lead on 21 minutes. Andrew Shinnie found Morgan in space on the edge of area and his drilled right-footed strike beat Cornell.

Just after the half hour, James Norwood was forced off with what looked to be a hamstring injury. Aaron Drinan the replacement for Town’s number 10.

Seven minutes from the interval, Alan Judge met Dozzell’s free-kick with a glancing header which looked to be looping into the far corner, but Amos clawed it away superbly.

A minute later, and Judge had another opportunity to get Blues level. Drinan hassled Pratley at the byline and won the ball back, before pulling the ball back to Judge, but his strike from 10 yards out was deflected behind by Chris Gunter.

Chuks Aneke proved a handful for Town throughout the first 45 and five minutes after the restart, Aneke got beyond Luke Woolfenden and struck a low shot from the edge of the area which Cornell stretched to save.

On 68 minutes, Charlton doubled their lead. Pratley hammered a volley across the face of goal and substitute Bogle bundled the ball home in off the near post.

Blues continued to searched for a way back into the game. Judge wriggled his way through two Charlton challenges on the edge of the box to get a fierce volley away which was straight down Amos' throat.

Kayden Jackson had one final chance for Town a minute before time, his right-footed strike from 18 yards out was deflected behind by Chris Gunter. 

Blues kept huffing and puffing but to no avail as the visitors defence stood firm.

Today's result sees Charlton leapfrog Blues into fifth place, with Town droppoing down to sixth place in the League One table.

Town: Cornell, Chambers (C), Woolfenden, Nsiala (McGuinness 71), Ward, Dozzell, McGavin (Lankester 71), Gibbs (Jackson 63), Bennetts, Norwood (Drinan 35), Judge.

Subs: Holy, Kenlock, Hawkins.

Charlton: Amos, Gunter, Williams (Gilbey 55), Aneke (Purrington 71), Shinnie, Pratley, Matthews, Morgan, Maatsen, Watson, Smyth (Bogle 66).

Subs: Maynard-Brewer, Pearce, Maddison.

Booked: Judge, Maatsen.

Advertisement block