Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


19 September 2020

Blues leave it late to claim victory at the Memorial Stadium

Two goals in the final 10 minutes saw Town pick up three points on their first away trip of the season.

Having dominated much of the play, Blues looked to be heading for a frustrating result before an own goal and a fantastic individual effort from Jon Nolan secured the points.

Paul Lambert made two changes to the side who toppled Wigan on the previous Sunday, Gwion Edwards and James Norwood replacing Alan Judge and Aaron Drinan respectively.

The hosts had the first chance of the game within the opening eight minutes, Brandon Hanlan bringing Tomas Holy into action with a simple save.

Edwards created Blues’ first opportunity a minute later, cutting inside before teeing up Jon Nolan who curled over from 25 yards.

Lambert’s side continued to control much of the play with the final pass just falling astray, Edwards and Freddie Sears looking particularly dangerous on either side of the front three.

Alfie Kilgour couldn’t connect with a dangerous Zain Westbrooke free-kick at the back post as the Gas created the best opening of the game with just under half an hour on the clock.

Sears tested the home goalkeeper 10 minutes before the break, his low free-kick being palmed away before Luke Chambers couldn’t direct the rebound on target.

The hosts came out with newfound intensity after half time and nearly got their reward just before the hour mark, Hanlan’s diving header falling wide of the target from Westbrooke’s out-swinging free-kick.

Chance at both ends following a few moments later, Sears having a shot blocked from the edge of the box before Ed Upson drilled a long range effort straight at Holy.

Edwards was then denied by a strong save from Anssi Jaakkola after being played in by  Nolan.

Nolan very nearly provided the pass for the opening goal five minutes later, his pull back being deflected into the side netting by Kilgour.

Edwards went even closer just a minute later, rounding the ‘keeper before Max Ehmer blocked his goalbound effort on the line.

Ehmer went from hero to villain with 10 minutes to go, heading Lankester’s dangerous cross into the back of his own net from six yards.

Oli Hawkins, another of Town’s substitutes, could have put the game to bed a few minutes later but headed wide from Andre Dozzell’s cross.

The impressive Nolan did exactly that with one minute remaining, skipping past a defender before slotting his left-footed shot into the bottom corner.

Rovers: Jaakkola, Little, Leahy, Grant, Ehmer (C), Upson, Westbrooke, Hanlan (Ayunga 73), Mitchell-Lawson (Daly 78), Kilgour, Harries.

Subs: Van Stappershoef, Baldwin, Hare, Hargreaves, Tutonda.

Town: Holy, Chambers (C), Nsiala, Wilson, Ward, Dozzell, Nolan, Bishop (Downes 67), Edwards, Norwood (Hawkins 67), Sears (Lankester 64). 

Subs: Cornell, Donacien, Kenlock, Huws.

Advertisement block