Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


17 April 2021

Honours even at The Valley

Town played out a 0-0 draw with Charlton Athletic this afternoon.

Stalemate at The Valley saw Blues remain ninth in the League One table, with five games remaining this term.

Paul Cook made five changes from Tuesday's defeat to AFC Wimbledon, with Kane Vincent-Young, Mark McGuinness, Andre Dozzell, Teddy Bishop and Keanan Bennetts all returning to the starting XI in South East London.

McGuinness was involved from the start for the first time since Blues faced Northampton at home on 16 February, with Bennetts starting his first game since the defeat to Portsmouth on 20 March.

The game got off to a lively start with both sides testing the 'keeper. Andre Dozzell's corner was met well by James Norwood but saved by Ben Amos, before Bennetts tried his luck on the rebound and saw his strike blocked on the line by Addicks captain Jason Pearce. At the other end Ryan Inniss got to a corner, with Tomas Holy collecting his header comfortably.

Blues were forced into a change in the 25th minute as Kayden Jackson replaced Norwood, who looked to have picked up a knock.

On 31 Holy fumbled a cross, but McGuinness got back to well to clear Jayden Stockley's low strike off the line.

Town broke well six minutes later, with Bennetts shooting over with his left foot from the edge of the box having been teed up by Jackson.

Both sides picked up bookings as the half drew to a close. Dozzell was cautioned for a trip in the middle of the park, before Diallang Jaiyesimi clipped the heels of Gwion Edwards and received a yellow card for the foul.

Town started the second half brightly with Vincent-Young sending a fierce strike a yard or so over the crossbar from just outside the area after he had done well to beat his man.

Holy was called upon in the 57th minute as he did brilliantly to push away a close-range header from Jaiyesimi following Pearce's header back across the box from a deep corner.

The Czech shot-stopper then got low to his left to deny Liam Millar after a swift move from the hosts culminated in the midfielder trying his luck from the edge of the box.

Cook made two further changes with 20 minutes remaining as Myles Kenlock and Freddie Sears came on for Stephen Ward and Teddy Bishop respectively.

Holy continued to be the busier of the two 'keepers as he pushed away Jake Forster-Caskey's effort from outside the box with 19 to play, with Kenlock then reading the danger well and clearing away the loose ball.

The hosts continued to push and with 15 minutes remaining Holy saved yet another strike, this time a low drive from Stockley which McGuinness had taken the sting out by throwing his body in the way.

Both sides searched for a late winner, but chances were few and far between in the final stages.

Booked: Dozzell, Jaiyesimi, Watson.

Charlton: Amos, Purrington, Pearce (C), Jaiyesimi, Forster-Caskey, Stockley, Gilbey, Pratley (Watson 61'), Matthews, Inniss, Millar.

Subs: Maynard-Brewer, Gunter, Oshilaja, Famewo, Shinnie, Schwartz.

Town: Holy, Vincent-Young, Woolfenden, McGuinness, Ward (C) (Kenlock 70'), Downes, Dozzell, Bennetts (Dobra 61'), Bishop (Sears 70'), Edwards, Norwood (Jackson 25').

Subs: Cornell, Chambers, Skuse.

Advertisement block