Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


15 December 2021

Hosts progress to round three

Town were knocked out of the FA Cup following a second round replay defeat at Barrow.

First half goals from Jordan Stevens and Robbie Gotts were enough for the hosts to seal progression.

Interim manager John McGreal made eight changes from Saturday's 1-1 draw at Wigan. Christian Walton, Kane Vincent-Young and Cameron Burgess were the trio who retained their places in the starting XI.

The hosts created a good chance to take the lead on 13 minutes but Gotts hit his effort high and wide of the mark following a pull-back from Patrick Brough.

Barrow broke the deadlock midway through the half. Following a short corner, Gotts laid the ball back to the edge of the area for Stevens, whose well-struck effort took a deflection on the way to finding the top corner.

First goal Barrow (A).jpg

Stevens looked to return the favour five minutes later but Gotts, under pressure from Toto Nsiala, could only fire into the side-netting.

Barrow's number 15 wasn't to be denied 10 minutes before the break, however, as he doubled the hosts' lead. After Stevens' cross from the right had been touched back across goal by Brough, Gotts blasted into the back of the net from six yards.

Town could've halved the deficit in first-half additional time but Burgess glanced Scott Fraser's in-swinging corner wide of the mark.

The Blues had their best chance yet just 45 seconds after the restart but James Norwood could only poke off target after running onto a ball over the top of Barrow's backline, with half-time substitute Luke Woolfenden heading narrowly wide two minutes later.

Sam Morsy vs Barrow (A).jpg

Skipper Sam Morsy, McGreal's second addition at the break, saw his drilled effort from 25 yards saved well by Paul Farman, the home 'keeper getting up quickly to jump on the loose ball before Kayden Jackson could pounce.

Joe Pigott was denied a headed consolation goal in stoppage time by an impressive Farman save as the hosts progressed to the third round.

Barrow: Farman, Brown (Hutton 79'), Brough, Platt, Gordon (Zanzala 82'), White, J. Jones, Gotts (Ellis 90'), Grayson, Banks (C), Stevens (Kay 79').

Subs: Lillis, Taylor, M. Jones, Beadling, James.

Town: Walton, Vincent-Young, Nsiala (Donacien 76'), Burgess, Penney, Aluko (C) (Chaplin 75'), El Mizouni, Carroll (Morsy 45'), Fraser (Woolfenden 45'), Jackson, Norwood (Pigott 68').

Subs: Hladky, Kenlock, Morris.

Booked: Morsy.

Attendance: 2,756 (202 Town fans).

Matt Penney vs Barrow (A).jpg

Advertisement block