Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


4 December 2021

Blues face Cumbria trip following stalemate

Town will travel to Barrow for a second round replay later this month after being held to a goalless draw in the FA Cup at Portman Road.

Joe Pigott and Cameron Humphreys were both denied by the woodwork after the break but the League Two visitors took the tie back to Cumbria.

Paul Cook made three changes to the side that beat Crewe six days earlier. Cameron Burgess, Idris El Mizouni and Kayden Jackson - who netted a brace in midweek against Arsenal U21 in the Papa John's Trophy - replaced George Edmundson, Sone Aluko and Bersant Celina.

In the sixth minute, both sets of supporters joined the wider football family in a minute's applause in tribute to Arthur Labinjo-Hughes, a young Birmingham supporter who sadly passed away at the age of just six.

Minute's applause for Arthur Barrow (H).jpg

Town's left side looked to be their best threat in the opening 20 minutes with Bailey Clements and Scott Fraser linking up well, albeit without creating any chance of note.

The two goalkeepers were tested for the first time shortly afterwards, Christian Walton tipping a Joe Grayson free-kick around the post before Fraser stung the palms of Paul Farman at the other end.

Town's next attack came down the right flank, Jackson getting in behind the defence before Clements' shot following a pull-back was blocked.

Joe Pigott hits post vs Barrow (H).jpg

Half-time substitute Pigott was inches away from scoring inside four minutes of the restart but the striker's effort, on the turn after the ball had dropped to him inside the area, struck the post.

Pigott's strike partner, Bonne, saw penalty appeals waved away with just over an hour played after he felt he had been bundled over in the box.

Macauley Bonne protest vs Barrow (H).jpg

Robbie Gotts saw a shot deflected wide for Barrow before, from the resulting corner, a Town counter left to Bonne being denied by a block.

Aluko spun his man before seeing a low effort saved late on with Sam Morsy shooting over in stoppage time.

Academy graduate Humphreys headed against the crossbar at the death but Barrow held on to take the tie to a replay.

Town: Walton, Donacien, Nsiala, Burgess, Clements, Morsy (C), El Mizouni (Pigott 45'), Jackson (Aluko 74'), Chaplin (Humphreys 85'), Fraser, Bonne.

Subs: Hladky, Vincent-Young, Alexander, Carroll, Evans, Harper.

Booked: El Mizouni, Chaplin, Morsy.

Barrow: Farman, Brown, Brough, Ellis (C), Kay (Stevens 86'), Gordon, White (Zanzala 62'), Jones, Gotts, Grayson, Banks (Taylor 90').

Subs: Lillis, Jones, Beadling, Hutton, Arthur, James.

Booked: Brown.

Attendance: 6,425 (205 away).

Advertisement block