Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


11 December 2021

Honours even at DW Stadium

James Norwood came off the bench to earn Town a point at Wigan.

Callum Lang netted for the hosts midway through a first half of few chances but Norwood's goal 13 minutes from time ensured the points were shared.

John McGreal made three changes to the side from the midweek trip to Charlton. Cameron Burgess, Conor Chaplin and Joe Pigott came into the starting XI.

Tom Pearce had the first effort on either goal with 20 minutes played, his powerful strike from the corner of the box being tipped over the bar by Christian Walton.

Callum Lang put the hosts in front just a minute later. Walton pulled off an impressive reaction save after Gwion Edwards had met James McClean's corner at the front post but the ball fell to Lang, who had the simple job of tucking the ball into the back of the net from a yard out.

The Blues had a strong penalty claim waved away as they looked for an instant response, the referee awarding a corner rather than a spotkick after Kyle Edwards had beaten two men before appearing to be pushed in the back.

Lee Evans vs Wigan (A).JPG

Macauley Bonne had Town's first effort on goal 10 minutes later but Ben Amos was equal to the striker's glanced header from Lee Evans' deep free-kick.

Edwards saw a volley blocked late in the half following another dangerous set piece from Evans, the same man not getting the desired connection at the back post following a Chaplin cross early in the second period.

Kyle Edwards shot vs Wigan (A).JPG

Will Keane thought he'd doubled the hosts' lead with 20 minutes remaining but the linesman's flag was already raised before the former Town striker found the bottom corner from inside the box.

The Blues found the equaliser on 77 minutes. George Edmundson won a free-kick with a driving run into Wigan's half. Evans whipped a wicked ball into the box which bounced around in the penalty box before Norwood swept it in from four yards.

Keane was inches away from regaining the Latics' lead five minutes later as he headed an in-swinging Max Power free-kick just wide of the mark.

Edwards saw a close range effort blocked at the other end moments later before Sone Aluko miskicked the ball after it had dropped to him from the resulting corner.

Wigan: Amos, Pearce (Humphrys 90'), Naylor, Whatmough, Edwards (Massey 80'), Power, Keane, Tilt, Lang, McClean, Darikwa (C).

Subs: Ja. Jones, Watts, Jo. Jones, Kerr, Aasgaard.

Booked: Lang.

Town: Walton, Vincent-Young, Edmundson, Burgess, Donacien, Morsy (C), Evans, Chaplin (Aluko 62'), Pigott (Norwood 62'), Edwards, Bonne.

Subs: Hladky, Penney, Carroll, El Mizouni, Fraser.

Booked: Edmundson.

Attendance: 10,296 (1,077 Town fans).

Advertisement block