Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


13 March 2021

Town move into the top six

Troy Parrott’s first professional goal was enough for Town to earn Paul Cook's first win as Town boss against Plymouth Argyle.

Parrott netted from close range after just four minutes in a game which Blues had control of for the majority.

Kayden Jackson led the line for Town, with Alan Judge and Parrott also back in the starting XI.

Cole Skuse was named amongst the substitutes for the first time this campaign, and got 25 minutes under his belt.

Town made a lightning-fast start to the contest with Argyle ‘keeper Mike Cooper pulling off a superb save to deny Judge’s free-kick from 20 yards out which was heading into the top corner.

As the hailstones descended on to Portman Road, Town made their fast start count, when Parrott latched on to a loose ball from Adam Lewis and rounded Cooper to tuck home from inside the six-yard box for his first professional goal.

Town could have been two goals to the good in the tenth minute as Jackson broke free of the Argyle defence and tried to lift the ball over Cooper, but the Pilgrims stopper stood firm to deny.

Argyle had their first foray forward on 25 minutes as Danny Mayor drifted over to the left and crossed for the oncoming Panutche Camara, but Myles Kenlock intervened with a vital header to clear for Town. Niall Ennis then headed straight at Tomas Holy from Lewis Macleod’s inswinging corner.

Blues were dominating the first half, and Parrott will have felt he should’ve doubled his tally and Town’s lead. Flynn Downes picked out the Spurs loanee who got a snap-shot away from 10 yards out but Kelland Watts blocked for the visitors.

Town were forced into a change just before the break, with Teddy Bishop replacing Downes who walked off down the touchline clutching his right hamstring.

Town were the team, again, in the ascendency in the second half. Jackson burst down the right side and pulled the ball back to Judge, but the Irishman skied his effort from the penalty spot.

Both teams made a double change just after the hour mark. Skuse came on for his first appearance of the season replacing Parrott, while Aaron Drinan replaced Jackson. The Pilgrims sent two strikers on, as Luke Jephcott and Ryan Hardie entered the action.

The visitors had their best chance of the afternoon with just over 10 minutes left. Watts bombed down the left and delivered an inviting cross to the dangerous Camara who got up with a glancing header which drifted narrowly wide of Holy's far post.

Paul Cook made another double substitution as Jack Lankester and Keanan Bennetts replaced Judge and Gwion Edwards in the wide areas.

Blues saw out the win in tricky conditions at Portman Road. Today's victory sees Town move into the top six in League One.

Town: Holy, Chambers (C), Nsiala, Wilson, Kenlock, Downes (Bishop 36), Dozzell, Edwards (Lankester 81), Judge (Bennetts 81), Parrott (Skuse 64), Jackson (Drinan 64).

Subs: Cornell, Ward.

Plymouth: Cooper, Watts, Aimson, Edwards (C), Mayor, Grant (Moore 82), Macleod (Reeves 81), Ennis (Jephcott 63), Lewis (Hardie 63), Opoku, Camara.

Subs: McCormick, Fornah, Tomlinson.

Advertisement block