Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


28 November 2021

A return to winning ways

Bersant Celina scored one of the best goals seen at Portman Road in a long, long time as Town recorded a 2-1 victory over Crewe Alexandra.

The Kosovan produced a moment of magic just before half-time when he chipped Dave Richards from 25 yards, with The Alex pulling one back in the second half after good work from Sone Aluko had led to the opener in just the second minute.

Aluko danced his way through a crowd of bodies before drilling across goal; Luke Offord sticking a toe out and diverting into his own net as Paul Cook's side got off to the perfect start.

The Blues boss made just one change from Tuesday's clash with Rotherham United, Aluko replacing Lee Evans as Scott Fraser dropped into a deeper role in midfield next to skipper Sam Morsy.

Smart work from Aluko saw Town open the scoring after just over 60 seconds of action. The winger beat two Crewe players before firing across the area as Offord tried to block but sent the ball into the back of the net.

Christian Walton was called into action for the first time almost 20 minutes in, the Blues shot-stopper doing well to tip Chris Long's fierce strike over the top of his crossbar.

The visitors had another half-chance in the 22nd minute but Oliver Finney fired a yard over the top of the goal from just outside the box.

Town pressed before half-time and went close on two occasions just before the break. In the 43rd minute, Janoi Donacien tried to pick out Macauley Bonne with a low ball across the box but The Alex managed to clear. Shortly after, a deflected effort from Sam Morsy was saved by the legs of Dave Richards, with Bersant Celina then heading wide on the rebound.

Chaplin stock Crewe (H).jpg

The hosts' efforts were rewarded though, when Celina scored a stunning goal deep into first-half stoppage time. Having brought a long ball down immaculately, he spotted Richards off his line and delightfully dinked the ball into the far corner of the net.

Crewe reduced the deficit 17 minutes from time. Mikael Mandron, who came on as a second-half substitute, cut inside on to his left foot and tried to find the far corner, with Long doing well to divert the ball into the opposite side.

Paul Cook Crewe (H).jpg

Fresh off the bench, there was good work from Kyle Edwards to beat a man and find Celina, but the latter dragged his shot wide from the edge of the area.

Edwards was involved again with five minutes remaining. The winger beat three men but couldn't quite find the finish as he blazed over with his right foot from the middle of the box.

Bonne was played through on goal deep into stoppage time, but Richards denied him with a low save.

Town saw the game out despite some late pressure from the visitors.

Town: Walton, Donacien, Nsiala, Edmundson, Clements, Morsy (C), Fraser, Aluko (Evans 66'), Chaplin (Edwards 66'), Celina, Bonne.

Subs: Hladky, Burgess, Vincent-Young, Harper, Pigott.

Booked: Clements, Edmundson.

Crewe: Richards, Offord, Long, Lowery, Porter, Finney, Griffiths (Knight 84'), Sass-Davies, Williams, Kashket (Mandron 56). 

Subs: Jaaskelainen, Thomas, Gomes, Lundstram, Woodthorpe.

Booked: Williams.

Attendance: 18,883 (225 away).

Blue action display Crewe (H).jpg

Advertisement block