Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


6 November 2021

Burns goal not enough to progress for Boundary Park-bound Blues

Town and Oldham will require a FA Cup first round replay at Boundary Park after the visitors came from behind to draw at Portman Road.

Wes Burns put the Blues in front early on but David Keilor-Dunn levelled before half-time, with a Christian Walton penalty save after the break preventing the Latics from claiming the victory.

Paul Cook made one change from the midweek 4-1 victory at Wycombe, Cameron Burgess replacing Hayden Coulson - who had come off injured at Adams Park.

Town took the lead with just eight minutes on the clock. Macauley Bonne, who had seen a header saved from a Kyle Edwards cross moments earlier, curled the ball into the box for Burns to direct into the roof of the net from seven yards away.

Wes Burns goal vs Oldham (H).jpg

Latics 'keeper Jason Leutwiler denied another headed effort from Bonne shortly afterwards, this time following an out-swinging Lee Evans corner.

Oldham's first opening of the game came with just under half an hour played, Hallam Hope heading wide of the mark from the middle of the penalty area before Carl Piergianni nodded off target five minutes later.

Having enjoyed their best period of the match so far, the visitors equalised four minutes before half-time, Keilor-Dunn curling into the bottom corner from the edge of the area.

The visitors had a golden opportunity to move in front for the first time eight minutes after the break. Janoi Donacien, one of two half-time substitutes alongside Matt Penney, was adjuged to have fouled Dylan Bahamboula two yards out from Town's goal. The Oldham man picked himself up to take the resulting penalty but Walton guessed the right way, diving low to his right, to ensure the scoreline remained level.

Christian Walton penalty save vs Oldham (H).jpg

Conor Chaplin, on in place of Edwards, shot over at the end of a slick move involving Burns and Bonne before the former Barnsley-man saw his free-kick turned around the post by Leutwiler.

Chaplin again looked set to be the man to put Town back ahead with 10 minutes remaining but, after being played in behind by Celina, he was denied by a stunning last-ditch tackle from Jordan Clarke.


Town: Walton, Vincent-Young (Donacien 45'), Nsiala, Edmundson, Burgess (Penney 45'), Morsy (C), Evans (Harper 83'), Burns (Aluko 83'), Celina, Edwards (Chaplin 53'), Bonne.

Subs: Hladky, El Mizouni, Fraser, Pigott.

Booked: Morsy, Donacien,

Oldham: Leutwiler, Clarke, McGahey, Piergianni (C), Whelan, Hope, Keillor-Dunn, Fage (Adams 87'), Bowden, Bahamboula (Vaughan 78'), Couto.

Subs: Dearnley, Diarra, Da Silva, Diarra, Modi, Southerington.

Booked: McGahey, Bahamboula,

Attendance: 8,845 (437 Oldham fans).

Advertisement block