Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


13 November 2021

A point apiece for Blues and U's

Town were denied a fourth successive home victory in League One as Oxford United left Portman Road with a goalless draw.

The Blues hit the woodwork twice in the first half in a game where they enjoyed the majority of the possession but failed to score for the first League game this season.

Paul Cook made two changes to the side from last Saturday's FA Cup tie against Oldham. Bailey Clements, who had come off the bench in the midweek penalty shootout success against Colchester in the Papa John's Trophy, made his League debut while Janoi Donacien returned at right-back.

Ed Schwartz Oxford (H).JPG

Ed Schwartz, the representative for ORG who own 90% of Gamechanger 20 Ltd, was once again in attendance having also witnessed the midweek Colchester clash.

Before kick-off, Portman Road paid their respects to those who have made the ultimate sacrifice in armed conflict with a minute's silence in what was the Club's designated Remembrance fixture.

Remembrance day minute's silence Oxford (H).jpg

Both sides had a good opportunity to break the deadlock in an open start to proceedings. First, Macauley Bonne saw a near-post header following a Lee Evans corner turned away by a combination of Oxford 'keeper Simon Eastwood's leg and the post.

The U's went straight down the other end as Christian Walton was brought into action for the first time, tipping Mark Sykes' effort over the top of the bar after he had skipped past a couple tackles.

Town were denied by the woodwork for a second time on 19 minutes. Clements began an attack with a surging run down the left flank before playing the ball inside to Bersant Celina, who saw his effort from the edge of the box come back off the base of the post.

Nathan Holland looked like set to put the visitors in front five minutes before the break but, after running onto a pass in behind Town's defence, Toto Nsiala pulled off an impressive last-ditch tackle to deny the U's number 27.

Some fine interplay between Celina and Bonne created the first chance of the second half, the latter prodding towards goal from the middle of the box after exchanging passes multiple times and being denied by Eastwood.

Celina curled wide from the edge of the area with Clements' ball across the face of the goal being just out of the reach of Bonne shortly afterwards.

Conor Chaplin drilled a right-footed shot wide from 25 yards as he looked to make an instant impact from the bench.

Town boasted the majority of the ball late on but Oxford held on to claim a share of the spoils.

Town: Walton, Donacien, Nsiala, Edmundson, Clements, Morsy (C), Evans, Burns (Aluko 70'), Celina (Pigott 90'), Edwards (Chaplin 71'), Bonne. 

Subs: Hladky, Burgess, Harper, Fraser.

Booked: Morsy, Clements.

Oxford: Eastwood, Long, Thorniley, Moore (C), Brannagan, Taylor (Agyei 90'), Sykes, Henry (McGuane 70'), Kane, Holland (Williams 90'), Seddon.

Subs: Plumley, Forde, McNally, Bodin.

Booked: Brannagan, Robinson (manager).

Attendance: 21,322 (922 Oxford fans).

Bailey Clements Oxford (H).jpg

Advertisement block