Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


16 November 2021

Town secure place in second round

A late wondergoal from Idris El Mizouni saw Town come from behind to defeat Oldham in a first round FA Cup replay at Boundary Park.

Harrison McGahey headed the hosts in front but Conor Chaplin found an equaliser before half-time with El Mizouni's remarkable strike booking Town's place in the second round, where they will host Barrow.

Paul Cook made seven changes from Saturday's goalless draw against Oxford. Christian Walton, George Edmundson, Bailey Clements and Wes Burns, who was operating at right-back, were the four to retain their place in the starting XI.

Oldham started well and had a good chance to open the scoring inside 15 minutes, David Keillor-Dunn volleying into the side-netting from Benny Cuoto's cross from the left.

Town, who had seen an early Joe Pigott effort blocked, created a good opening of their own two minutes later but Rekeem Harper's low shot after winning the ball deep inside Latics' territory was turned away by the leg of a defender.

Joe Pigott vs Oldham (A).jpg

Keillor-Dunn looked set to break the deadlock midway through the half after Dylan Bahamboula had laid the ball back to him in the middle of the box but Walton denied the hosts' number 10 with a fantastic one-on-one save.

Oldham took the lead with just under half an hour played. Walton made another strong stop, this time from a Carl Piergianni volley following a corner, but Harrison McGahey was in the right place to nod the rebound into an empty net from eight yards.

A moment of luck allowed Town to level the game seven minutes later. Home 'keeper Jayson Leutwiler dropped a Pigott cross from the right after colliding with his right-back, Jordan Clarke, and Chaplin was in the right place to take a touch and fire into the bottom corner from close range.

Fumble before Conor Chaplin goal vs Oldham (A).jpg

The Blues pushed to take the lead and could've done in first half stoppage time but Aluko and Burns both saw efforts blocked following Pigott's low ball from the left.

Fast-thinking from Chaplin led to the first chance of the second period but, after he had exchanged passes with Burns from a quick free-kick, his right-footed drive was blocked behind for a corner by Piergianni.

Town began to see more possession in dangerous areas, particularly on the right wing through Aluko and Burns, but with the final ball lacking.

A remarkable goal from El Mizouni turned the game around with 10 minutes remaining. The midfielder, who penned a new deal at the Club last week, took a touch from 30 yards before sending a half-volley into the top corner in front of the travelling Blue Army at Boundary Park.

The Blues looked to put the tie to bed shortly afterwards as first Chaplin and then Aluko saw efforts blocked from inside the box.

Oldham: Leutwiler, Clarke (Adams 87'), McGahey, Piergianni (C), Whelan, Hope, Keillor-Dunn (Hopcutt 68'), Fage, Bowden, Bahamboula (Dearnley 87'), Couto (Hart 68').

Subs: Southerington, Stobbs, Cisse, Dearnley.

Booked: Clarke, Keillor-Dunn.

Town: Walton, Burns (Vincent-Young 75'), Woolfenden (Burgess 45'), Edmundson, Clements, Harper (Edwards 75'), El Mizouni, Aluko, Chaplin, Fraser, Pigott (Jackson 84'). 

Subs: Hladky, Kenlock, Carroll, Celina, Barry.

Booked: Woolfenden.

Attendance: 2,801 (496 Town fans).

Conor Chaplin goal vs Oldham (A).jpg

Advertisement block