Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


2 October 2021

Bonne goal not enough as Stanley claim spoils

Accrington came from behind as Town fell to a defeat at Wham Stadium.

Macauley Bonne's eighth goal of the campaign put Town in front at half-time but goals after the break from Colby Bishop and Harry Pell saw the hosts claim all three points.

Paul Cook named an unchanged starting XI from the midweek victory over Doncaster at Portman Road.

Toto Nsiala and Kyle Edwards were both listed amongst the subs, replacing Luke Woolfenden and Idris El Mizouni respectively in the matchday squad.

Accrington enjoyed plenty of early possession but it was Town who had the first chance of the game through Macauley Bonne but after home 'keeper Toby Savin sliced an initial attempted clearance from Lee Evans' hooked ball over the top, the Ipswich-born striker couldn't keep his headed effort down.

Both sides continued to probe as an intriguing midfield battle ensued despite little goalmouth action at either end.

Macauley Bonne goal vs Accrington (A).jpg

Town took the lead on 38 minutes. Scott Fraser won the ball back on the left side of midfield, allowing Bersant Celina to run at the backline. The Kosovan found Bonne with a reverse pass, allowing the striker to slot into the bottom corner for his eighth goal of the season.

The Blues looked to begin the second half in similar fashion as Sam Morsy began an attack with a spectacular volleyed pass to Fraser which switched the play from right to left. Fraser drove at Yeboah Amankwah before his near-post cross was palmed behind by Savin with Bonne ready to nod in his second of the afternoon.

Sam Morsy vs Accrington (A).jpg

Accrington equalised with just under five minutes played in the second period. Amankwah's low cross into the box ricocheted into the path of Colby Bishop, who took a touch before beating Vaclav Hladky from close range.

The hosts' best spell of the game followed, an important and perfectly-timed block from Janoi Donacien preventing Harry Pell from turning the game around.

Hladky was the next to frustrate Accy, palming Bishop's well-struck effort over the top of his own crossbar.

Accrington's second-half pressure told on 78 minutes as they found the decisive goal, Pell meeting a cross from the right with a low volley which found the back of the net.

Accrington: Savin, Sherring, Hamilton, Butcher, Pell, Bishop, McConville, Nottingham, Conneely (C), Morgan, Amankwah. 

Subs: Trafford, O'Sullivan, Leigh, Mansell, Nolan, Clark, Malcolm.

Booked: Hamilton, Conneely.

Town: Hladky, Donacien, Edmundson, Burgess, Penney, Evans (Norwood 80'), Morsy (C), Burns, Celina (Harper 64'), Fraser (Edwards 64'), Bonne.

Subs: Holy, Nsiala, Aluko, Chaplin.

Booked: Norwood.

Attendance: 2,600 (846 away).

Rekeem Harper vs Accrington (A).jpg

Advertisement block