Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


16 October 2021

U's comeback to deny Blues

A Sone Aluko brace wasn't enough as Cambridge came from behind to hold Town to a draw.

Aluko had netted twice inside the opening 36 minutes to put the Blues in control but James Brophy pulled one back before the break before Joe Ironside headed in a late equaliser.

Paul Cook made two changes to the side who had beaten Shrewsbury a week earlier.

Idris El Mizouni and Aluko returned to the starting XI in place of Lee Evans and Wes Burns.

Backed by over 2,500 Town fans at a sold out Abbey Stadium, Conor Chaplin was presented with two early chances but his duo of left-footed efforts were both off target.

Sone Aluko goal vs Cambridge (A).JPG

The Blues took the lead inside 10 minutes. Aluko came out on top in a 50/50 with a Cambridge defender, the winger keeping his composure to lob the stranded Dimitar Mitov.

Cook’s side continued to dominate proceedings, Cambridge making a number of important interceptions to ensure the difference stayed at one goal while Sam Morsy slipped at the vital moment as his effort from range was wide of the mark.

Aluko doubled his and Town’s tally on 36 minutes. Mitov didn’t get enough on his attempted punch from Scott Fraser’s in-swinging corner, with the former Rangers wide man tapping into the empty net at the back post.

Sone Aluko second goal vs Cambridge (A).JPG

Cambridge reduced the deficit less than four minutes later, Brophy’s effort from inside the box going in off of the underside of the bar.

Aluko could’ve completed a first-half hat-trick late in the opening period but his right-footed effort following Fraser’s threaded pass into the box was blocked.

Vaclav Hladký was called into action early in the second period, denying Ironside after the U’s striker had goal in behind Cameron Burgess, Morsy dragging an effort wide moments later from the edge of the box.

Matt Penney reached the touchline a minute later but his drilled cross was too heavy for Chaplin, whose outstretched leg couldn’t direct the ball on target.

Cambridge goalscorer Brophy nearly turned provider for an equaliser with just over 15 minutes remaining, George Williams heading his dinked cross wide at the back post under pressure from Penney.

The U's found their leveller with two minutes remaining, Ironside rising highest to head into the back of the net after a corner had been nodded back across goal.

Cambridge: Mitov, Williams, Ikedale, Digby (C), Jones, Brophy (Knibbs 86’), Ironside (Dunk 90'), Hoolahan, Tracey (Smith 77’), May, Masterson.

Subs: McKenzie-Lyle, Okedina, Weir, Worman.

Town: Hladky, Donacien, Edmundson, Burgess, Penney, Morsy (C), El Mizouni, Aluko (Burns 68’), Chaplin (Celina 74’), Fraser (Edwards 82’), Bonne.

Subs: Holy, Nsiala, Harper, Jackson.

Booked: Chaplin.

Attendance: 7,944 (2,513).

Conor Chaplin vs Cambridge (A).JPG

Advertisement block