Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


11 September 2021

Bonne on target but Trotters take the spoils

Town fell to defeat against a clinical Bolton Wanderers side at Portman Road.

The scoreline stood at 2-2 after a frantic opening half an hour but goals either side of half-time swung the match in the visitors’ favour before they added a fifth to seal the points.

Paul Cook made five changes to the side who drew against AFC Wimbledon a fortnight ago as Christian Walton and George Edmundson were awarded their debuts for the Club.

Macauley Bonne and Conor Chaplin returned to the starting XI while Sone Aluko made his full League debut.

Town couldn’t have asked for a better start to the match as they took the lead inside five minutes. Wes Burns beat his marker for strength and pace before laying the ball on a plate for Bonne to tap into an empty net at the back post.

Edmundson had to be switched on just eight minutes into his Blues bow as he raced back to complete a perfectly timed tackle on Lloyd Isgrove when the midfielder looked set to equalise.

Bolton did level the match just two minutes later, however, as Dapo Afolayan drilled a half-volley underneath Walton from the corner of the six-yard box.

The visitors turned the game on it’s head on 18 minutes, Eoin Doyle converting from the penalty spot after Kane Vincent-Young had brought down Afolayan.

The goals kept coming as Town levelled the game at 2-2, Burns again the architect as his drilled ball across the face of the goal was deflected into the back of the net by the leg of Bolton defender Ricardo Santos.

With the momentum and a vocal Portman Road behind them, Town pushed to move back infront as Chaplin headed over from a Hayden Coulson cross.

Burns could’ve completed a hat-trick of assists late in the half after beating two men and pulling the ball back for Bonne but the latter skewed his effort wide.

The visitors made Town pay for that missed opportunity 30 seconds later, Afolayan curling into the back of the net for his second of the afternoon.

It became even tougher for the Blues after the restart as, within two minutes, Josh Sheehan slotted into the bottom corner from the middle of the box to open up a 4-2 lead.

Bolton had their tails up and extended their advantage further 10 minutes later, George Johnston firing into an empty net after his initial header had been blocked by Edmundson.

Bonne was inches away from pulling one back for Town on 65 minutes but his volley from Coulson’s deep free-kick came off the inside of the post and rolled across the goaline before being cleared.

Lee Evans' dinked effort fell just wide of the mark late on as Bolton claimed the three points.

Town: Walton, Vincent-Young (Donacien 21'), Edmundson, Burgess, Coulson, Harper, Evans (C), Burns (Jackson 83'), Chaplin (Carroll 63'), Aluko, Bonne.

Subs: Holy, Penney, Barry, Pigott.

Booked: Vincent-Young.

Bolton: Dixon, Jones, Williams, Santos, Johnston (Baptiste 81'), Sheehan (Lee 74'), Doyle, Sarcevic (C), Afolayan, Isgrove (Kachunga 62’), Gordon.

Subs: Gilks, Delfouneso, Aimson, Thomason.

Booked: Isgrove, Jones.

Attendance: 19,267

Advertisement block