Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


8 March 2022

Almost 25,000 fans enjoy three points under the lights

First-half goals from Wes Burns and Kayden Jackson helped Town secure back-to-back victories courtesy of a win against Lincoln.

The duo's efforts, which came in the space of nine minutes midway through the opening period, saw the Blues move to within three points of the play-off places.

Tyreeq Bakinson and Sone Aluko returned as Kieran McKenna made two changes from the side who overcame Fleetwood on Saturday.

Conor Chaplin and Joe Pigott moved onto the bench with Tom Carroll being named amongst the substitutes. 

Football Stands Together for Ukraine Town Lincoln.jpg

Before kick-off, both teams - who were wearing an all blue and an all yellow strip respectively to show solidarity with Ukraine amid the ongoing conflict - combined in a display to show that football stands together through these difficult and tragic times.

The Blues started brightly and created a half-chance inside a minute, Janoi Donacien and Burns combining before the latter fired over from the middle of the box.

Town took the lead on 23 minutes. Bersant Celina released Jackson, who raced into the left side of the box before pulling the ball back to the penalty spot for Burns to smash into the back of the net.

Kayden Jackson cele vs Lincoln City (H).jpg

It took just nine minutes to double the lead as Jackson made it two goals in as many games. This time it came from the right wing as Burns easily beat his marker for pace before teeing up Sam Morsy. The skipper’s shot looked to be going narrowly wide but Jackson was in the right place to convert from no more than a couple of yards out.

Celina’s flair continued to wow the healthy crowd under the Portman Road lights in what was the Club’s rearranged final #PackOutPR fixture, the Kosovan sprinting from the halfway line to the edge of the area and working the ball onto his left foot before seeing a low drive blocked.  

Bersant Celina vs Lincoln City (H).jpg

The interval did little to halt Town’s momentum, Jackson and Aluko linking up well on the edge of the area before the latter’s right-footed effort was too high. 

McKenna was forced into a change with just over an hour played as George Edmundson could not continue after taking a heavy knock and he was replaced by Cameron Burgess.

The Blues continued to control proceedings, the final pass just lacking as they continued to search for a third goal of the evening.

Tyreeq Bakinson saw a curling effort saved and Conor Chaplin sent a free-kick just wide of the bottom corner, while Anthony Scully was denied a consolation goal in the dying moments by Christian Walton, as Town secured successive wins without conceding.

Town: Walton, Donacien, Woolfenden, Edmundson (Burgess 61’), Burns, Morsy (C) (Carroll 77’), Bakinson, Thompson, Aluko (Chaplin 83'), Celina, Jackson.

Subs: Hladky, Bonne, Pigott, Norwood.

Booked: Celina.

Lincoln: Wright, Poole, Eyoma, Jackson, Whittaker, Norton-Cuffy, McGrandles (C), Fiorini (Sorensen 77’), Marquis, Maguire (Scully 68’), Cullen (Bramall 45’).

Subs: Sanders, Hopper, Walsh, Bishop.

Booked: Poole, McGrandles, Maguire.

Attendance: 24,989 (363 Lincoln fans).

Wes Burns cele 2 vs Lincoln City (H).jpg

Advertisement block