Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


26 March 2022

Skipper's strike settles Argyle assessment

Town returned to winning ways against in-form Plymouth courtesy of a first-half goal from Sam Morsy.

The Blues' captain swept James Norwood's low cross into the back of the net to seal a deserved three points against an Argyle side who had won their previous six games without conceding before travelling to Portman Road.

Morsy, Sone Aluko and Norwood came into the starting XI in place of Tom Carroll, Conor Chaplin and Joe Pigott as Kieran McKenna made three changes from the draw at Oxford seven days ago.

Portman Road paid tribute to the late Paul Mariner - a legend with both Ipswich and Plymouth - with displays in the stands and a minute’s applause ahead of kick-off. 

Two of the Blues legends’ sons, George and Joe, were also in attendance as the Club remembered a true great.

Mark Ashton, Joe Mariner George Mariner.jpg

Backed by a vocal home crowd, Town had the best of the opening exchanges as Aluko blasted into the side netting from a tight angle after just four minutes.

An even better chance presented itself nine minutes later, but Aluko’s pass to Wes Burns was a touch too heavy, and the Welshman could only fire across the face of the goal from inside the box.

James Norwood shot vs Plymouth (H).jpg

The Blues completely controlled proceedings with Norwood seeing a shot blocked and another effort saved, both from the edge of the area.

Norwood turned provider as Town’s dominance was rewarded with the breakthrough on 36 minutes. The striker expertly brought down Bersant Celina’s ball over the top of the defence before reaching the byline and laying the ball back for Morsy to stroke home from close range.

Sam Morsy goal vs Plymouth (H).jpg

Norwood could’ve made it two moments later but, after Dom Thompson had pulled the ball back to the edge of the area, his shot was too high.

Neither team created any chances of note in a far more even opening 15 minutes of the second half. Aluko fired over from distance with just over an hour played.

The Blues looked the more likely as the game entered the final 20 minutes, Tyreeq Bakinson and Morsy orchestrating the play in the middle of the park while Burns always looked a threat.

Conor Chaplin dragged a right-footed effort wide as McKenna's side continued to look for a second goal, Christian Walton still not being tested going into the closing stages.

Burns should've put the game to bed in stoppage time but, after Celina had beaten two men to play the wing-back through on goal, he drilled wide of the mark from inside the box.

It mattered little though as Town saw out five minutes of additional time to claim the victory.

Town: Walton, Donacien, Woolfenden, Burgess, Burns, Morsy (C), Bakinson, Thompson, Aluko (Chaplin 64’) , Celina, Norwood (Bonne 65’) .

Subs: Hladky, Baggott, Penney, Carroll, Pigott.

Booked: Morsy, Burns.

Plymouth: Cooper, Bolton (Crichlow 24’), Gillesphey, Houghton (Broom 68’), Wilson, Edwards (C), Hardie (Garrick 76'), Mayor, Ennis, Sessegnon, Randell.

Subs: Burton, Scarr, Lewis, Law.

Booked: Crichlow.

Attendance: 23,256 (1,291 Plymouth fans).

Paul Mariner display vs Plymouth (H).jpg

Advertisement block