Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


12 March 2022

Stalemate in Suffolk

Town were held to a goalless draw by fellow play-off hopefuls Portsmouth at Portman Road.

The Blues, who saw what would have been a late winner disallowed, dominated large parts of the game but were ultimately frustrated by their visitors from the South coast.

Ed Schwartz, the representative for ORG who own 90% of Gamechanger 20 Ltd, joined 25,499 others in attendance.

Mark Ashton Ed Schwartz Portsmouth (H).jpg

Cameron Burgess replaced the injured George Edmundson, with Conor Chaplin coming in for Sone Aluko in what was Kieran McKenna’s other change.

Town enjoyed plenty of early possession with Kayden Jackson and Luke Woolfenden both miscuing headers either side of a Chaplin effort that drifted wide. 

Luke Woolfenden missed header vs Portsmouth (H).jpg

The Blues were dealt a blow with just over 20 minutes played as captain Sam Morsy was forced from the field, with Tom Carroll replacing him.

Portsmouth’s Aiden O’Brien saw two good chances go amiss shortly afterwards, diverting Ronan Curtis’ drilled cross over the top from close range before he fired wide after picking up a loose pass 25 yards from goal.

Town finished the half as the side on top. Chaplin sent a piledriver just over the top right corner of the frame before Jackson raced onto a ball over the top of the defence and was denied by Pompey ‘keeper Gavin Bazunu.

Having been off balance when he struck his shot from a narrow angle, an awkward landing saw Jackson become McKenna’s second enforced substitute just before the break, with Macauley Bonne coming on in his place.

Kayden Jackson injury vs Portsmouh (H).jpg

Roared on by a vocal Portman Road, it was the Blues who once again looked the more likely at the start of the second period. Sean Raggett headed onto the roof of the net at the other end as the game began to open up.

Tyreeq Bakinson tested Bazunu from range before Bersant Celina collected Chaplin’s pass in the area and was denied by the legs of the Pompey 'keeper. 

Town continued to push for the opener, Celina dragging an effort just wide from the middle of the area after more good work from Chaplin.

The Blues will have felt even more aggrieved not to have won the game having seen a goal controversially disallowed late on. The linesman's flag went up as Burgess headed a Celina free-kick towards goal, with Bonne smashing the rebound into the roof of the net.

Portsmouth held on to claim a share of the spoils.

Town: Walton, Donacien, Woolfenden, Burgess, Burns (Aluko 86'), Bakinson, Morsy (C) (Carroll 21’), Thompson, Chaplin, Celina, Jackson (Bonne 45’).

Subs: Hladky, Vincent-Young, Pigott, Norwood.

Booked: Thompson.

Portsmouth: Bazunu, Robertson (C), O'Brien (Hume 84'), Tunnicliffe, Curtis, Romeo, Ogilvie, Carter, Hirst (Walker 85'), Raggett, Thompson (Morrell 71’).

Subs: Webber, Vincent, Mingi, Jewitt-White.

Booked: Thompson, Cowley (manager).

Attendance: 25,500 (1,986 away fans).

Cameron Burgess vs Portsmouth (H).jpg

Advertisement block