Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


29 April 2017

Lee winner takes Owls into Play-Offs as home campaign ends in defeat for Blues

Sheffield Wednesday booked their place in the Play-Offs as Town’s home campaign finished on a disappointing note.

In a game of few chances, Kieran Lee won the game for the Owls 13 minutes from time with a close range finish following a flowing move. 

Ross Wallace hit the post for the visitors while Town’s best chance fell to Tom Lawrence early on. 

Town returned to the team that beat Newcastle last time out at Portman Road and Mick McCarthy’s side started brightly, Lawrence looking set to give Blues the lead inside five minutes after getting on the end of Freddie Sears’ cross but his shot went straight at Keiren Westwood. 

Jack Hunt’s cross was cleared by Luke Chambers as Steven Fletcher threatened at the other end, Wallace then sending a left footer curler over the bar. 

Wallace’s cross was cleared by Cole Skuse as the Owls gained ground down the right, Glenn Loovens then first to the cross as David McGoldrick attacked a Sears delivery.

Wallace had a shot blocked on the edge of the box after Adam Reach found space and set him up, Westwood then beating away McGoldrick’s curler after Lawrence had released him. 

Myles Kenlock cleared from Daniel Pudil’s cross, Bart Bialkowski then quickly off his line to smother the danger from Pudil in an even first 30 minutes.

Loovens was denied at the far post after Fletcher headed across goal from a free-kick, Wallace then setting up Fletcher inside the area, the Scotland international’s cross cleared behind by Christophe Berra.

Fletcher was inches away from getting on the end of Reach’s delivery, then McGoldrick worked his magic inside the Owls’ box but was eventually crowded out as a half of few chances and nothing between the sides came to an end. 

Town had a scare three minutes after the break, Wallace’s effort from 25 yards deceived Bialkowski and rattled back off the inside of the post, then away to safety.

Hunt’s cross had too much on it for Reach at the far post, Bialkowski saving comfortably from Fletcher’s left footer as Wednesday chased an opener.

Danny Rowe was handed his Town debut on the hour, the Blue Army giving a standing ovation to Lawrence, who made way.

Former Blue, Jordan Rhodes, then entered the fray in Wednesday’s first change, along with Fernando Forestieri, while for Town, Dominic Samuel replaced Grant Ward. The Reading loanee’s first touch saw him head just wide.

The breakthrough came on 77 minutes, clever build up play saw Barry Bannan release Pudil inside the box and Lee was first to the ball to divert it home.  

Keiffer Moore was Town’s final throw of the dice for the closing stages, Sears making way. 

Forestieri could have wrapped it up but he couldn’t get enough on his shot after initially leading a counter attack from the half-way line, before a McGoldrick free-kick in added on time fell to
Emyr Huws on a tight angle but his volley sailed over the bar and with it went Town’s chance of salvaging a point.  

Town: Bialkowski, Spence, Chambers, Berra, Kenlock, Ward (Samuel 68), Huws, Skuse, Lawrence (Rowe 63), Sears (Moore 86), McGoldrick. Subs not used: Gerken, Emmanuel, Dozzell, Pitman. Booked: Skuse.

Sheffield Wednesday: Westwood, Lee, Fletcher (Rhodes 65), Reach, Loovens, Hooper (Semedo 80), Lees, Hunt, Wallace (68), Pudil, Bannan. Subs not used: Wildsmith, McManaman, Sasso, Nuhiu.
Att: 19,000


Latest from

Tweets by @Official_ITFC

Advertisement block