Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


7 March 2017

Brilliant Bart save late on earns Town a point as unbeaten run goes on

Town made it seven games unbeaten but had to settle for a fifth successive draw at Portman Road. 

David McGoldrick came closest to breaking the deadlock for Blues just before half-time but the visitors had the better off it in the second-half and it needed a brilliant save from Bart Bialkowski to keep out Ben Marshall’s superb free-kick five minutes from time.  

Town made three changes to the side that drew with Brentford at the weekend, the injured Emyr Huws making way for Toumani Diagouraga, while Tommy Smith came in for his first start since September after back surgery. Josh Emmanuel was preferred to Jordan Spence at right-back. 

Emmanuel was immediately in the action, taking a Tom Lawrence pass in his stride but his cross evaded the supporting McGoldrick, who instigated the move.

Cole Skuse got a timely toe in on the edge of the Town box as Wolves responded on the break, with Marshall prominent in the move. 

Emmanuel created some space for himself and then sent in a cross aimed at McGoldrick, Danny Batth first to the ball, Skuse then releasing McGoldrick down the right but Wolves crowded him out.

Jonas Knudsen was yellow carded for handball on the edge of the Town box, Romain Saiss sending the free-kick well over. 

Skuse couldn’t direct his header from a cross, McGoldrick showing a good touch to lose his man but Jack Price covered the danger as Town’s play began to increase in tempo.

Diagouraga sent a right foot effort from Lawrence’s corner a yard wide, while at the other end McGoldrick did superbly in Town’s box to block Dave Edwards’ header from close range.

Lawrence showed Premier League quality to leave his marker in the box with a terrific turn, his cross cleared at full stretch and evading the oncoming McGoldrick as Blues searched for an opener and the best chance came right on the half-time whistle but Carl Ikeme denied McGoldrick after Lawrence had teed him up.

Smith won an early free-kick in the second-half after a driving run, Batth yellow carded for the foul. Lawrence’s delivery 35 yards out was arrowed in at Christophe Berra but Batth cleared.

Ikeme was quickly off his line to clear from Grant Ward, then Lawrence surged into the box before going down under Matt Doherty’s challenge but referee Darren Deadman waved away Town’s appeals for a penalty. 

Ikeme was at full stretch to tip Lawrence’s corner over, then from a break, Marshall curled his shot wide of the far post after Andreas Weimann had led the counter. 

Ikeme again had to be alert to deal with Lawrence’s corner, Bialkowski called into action for Town seconds later to hold firm from Jon Dadi Bodvarsson. 

Bodvarsson almost got in again as the game opened up, Smith replaced by Kenlock in Town’s first change just after the hour.  

Price, busy in the engine room for the visitors, sent an ambitious effort over the bar, Luke Chambers doing well to prevent Bodvarsson getting in as the points remained up for grabs.

McGoldrick tested Ikeme from the edge of the box, Weimann much further off target from 25 yards, Kortney Hause clearing as McGoldrick tried to find Lawrence in the area. 

Kieffer Moore replaced Emmanuel for the final exchanges, Bodvarsson denied by Bialkowski from close range after gliding past two defenders. 

Town’s ‘keeper then produced the save of the match to tip Marshall’s brilliant free-kick on to the bar as Wolves threatened a late winner in what was the closest either side came to a goal.

Town: Bialkowski, Knudsen, Chambers, Smith (Kenlock 61), Berra, Emmanuel (Moore 82), Skuse, Diagouraga, Ward, Lawrence, McGoldrick. Subs not used: Gerken, Spence, Bru, Sears, Pitman. Booked: Knudsen.

Wolves: Ikeme, Doherty, Edwards, Batth, Saville, Price, Bodvarsson, Saiss, Hause, Weimann (Costa 82), Marshall. Subs not used: Lonergan, Stearman, Dicko, Coady, Iorfa, Cavaleiro. Booked: Batth.
Att: 15,076




Latest from

Tweets by @Official_ITFC

Advertisement block